Tuesday 26 January 2016

Playing with fire

So, with Jay and James both adding in their back story, I better add in mine.

As with the others, I started with Warhammer 40k, but unlike the others I started at the age of 18. Up until a few years ago I was the GW fan boy, I only bought GW paints, only used their brushes, etc etc etc. You get the picture. But after 40k got what felt like a very quick uplift from one edition to another, my eyes started to open. Slowly over the last couple years I've sold off my models and started to move systems.

Now anyone that knows me will know that I am the constant good guy. I finish a PC/console game as the goodie first and I play as the good races with my table top games. I currently play Dystopian Wars as the FSA, Bolt Action as the British 3rd Infantry Division and Batman Miniatures Game as... Two Face! My first foray into the world of the bad guy. So with that in mind I thought about my wizard...

Bernhardt Alderghast is quite simply: an arsehole. A pompous arse at best, an egotistical maniac at worst. An elementalist with a terrible temper even for his school, he was once a mercenary in the employ of a monster hunter. Having amassed a small fortune of his own he decided once and for all to prove to all that he was the greatest wizard of his era. He promptly killed the mercenary captain and posed a simple question to the other men: do you want to be rich and powerful? The men that stayed were given new uniforms to befit the personal soldiers of the great Alderghast, and those loyal to the deceased captain were killed. They then marched on Frostgrave, setting up a base outside the city for training and recruitment
Viron Zikal is much the same as his master, but where Alderghast is loud and brash, Zikal is cold and calculating. Worshipping the very ground Alderghast walks on, he is a complete sycophant. It is this attitude that has kept his master from killing him, as Zikal is a proficient caster himself.

So what does this mean in game terms? Well, my soldiers will be pretty uniform, with only a few bits here and there to make each one stand out. I didn't go for the elementalist models for the game, instead hunting down two others. But I think they'll suit my arrogant wizard and his apprentice perfectly. My plan is to go down the dark caster route, combining elementalist with summoner and a few other darker spells.

No comments:

Post a Comment